All African male 8ft tank with 5ft sump

Show us your tank/tanks, keep us updated and share your journey.
somefinfishy
Site Admin

All African male 8ft tank with 5ft sump

Post by somefinfishy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 am

I have an 8ft x 2ft x 2ft tank with a 5ft sump used as filtration. I also use a small wave maker and a 300watt Eheim Jaguar heater and a Eheim +5000 pump used in the sump.
Lighting I’m using 2 x 4ft PetWorx LED lights across the top front then one 3ft Petworx LED Light across the top back half.

I do 50% (450-500litres) waterchange every week and clean one section of the sump around every 5-6 months.

If you have any suggestions or questions then please reply on here or message me.
Cheers.
Peter.
Last edited by somefinfishy on Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somefinfishy
Site Admin

Re: All African male 8ft tank with 5ft sump

Post by somefinfishy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi everyone. Just an update to the 8ft and my other breeder/fry/growout tanks.

This is something I’ve been wanting to do for years and only recently had the chance and $ to do it.
With lots of dollars worth of fish I couldn’t afford not to add a battery backup system in case of a power outage.

I have recently added a battery backup system to supply all tanks air and to power one water pump for my sump.
I now have a large deep cycle battery, a power inverter and battery charger.
This is always working so I have the air pump and water pump in my sump connected.

If power goes off then the battery system kicks in.
I get 8-9 hours of uninterrupted air and water pump supply.

I don’t worry about keeping heaters going in power outages as Im currently using 1750watts for all 14 tanks which would drain the backup battery very quickly (only a few hours) and over say 8-9 hours my tanks only loose 2-3°c so heating isn’t a problem in power outages.

The main aim is to keep the fish alive during a power outage so this battery backup system keeps all air sponge filters (two in every tank) and one water pump in my sump working till the mains power comes back on.

If you have a similar system or you use something different please share your ideas, suggestions and setups here.

Cheers.

somefinfishy
Site Admin

Post by somefinfishy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:13 pm

Ok so I thought I’d show the air pump and pvc piping setup I’m using on my breeder and raising tanks.
It’s a Resun LP-60, currently I’m running 28 air lift sponge filters an usually 2-6 egg tumblers are the same time.

aquacom
Site Admin

Post by aquacom » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:18 am

Nice setup mate!
will be watching.... :shock:

somefinfishy
Site Admin

Post by somefinfishy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:15 am

Just cleaned one section of the 5ft sump under the 8ft display tank.
I’ll give it an hour to clear up.